Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Western Digital Harddrive says 1.99 gb

Status
Not open for further replies.

dnadownload

Technical User
Jan 27, 2003
US
I just installed a 120 gb Western Digital Hd and it says its only 1.99 gb. It also said on my other drive there was an unknown partition ntfs/hpfs.. what is hpfs? some hewlett packard parititon? Ive never heard of it before (btw computer is an hp)

What says its 1.99 GB? (fdisk, WD's drive preparation tool....). If fdisk, did you enable large disk support (otherwise only get FAT, which has max partition size of 2GB). also, if fdisk - may be useful.

How old is mobo/bios? (there are various HD limits going back in time - eg, 2GB, 8GB, 32GB).

hpfs is a filestore type - but I know nothing about it.

Ok i finally got it too work. But now I cant load my settings and it doesnt show any of my files for my other hd

Everything works fine, and it still says im on the owner account but my desktop changed all my shortcuts and what not arent there etc etc

Sorry, but you are not giving us any information - except it doesn't work. What operating system have you installed? What have you set up that doesn't work? (can't load settings - what does that mean? - which settings, for what). Can you see the second drive now? And 'it still says im on the owner account but my desktop changed all my shortcuts and what not arent there etc etc' - could you explain this more clearly please?

Sorry I was in a hurry with the last post. My system runs Windows Xp. Yes the drive is recognized now and working properly. My problem was that when i logged on the desktop had none of my former documents/shortcuts or anything on it.

But haven't you just installed XP on your new drive (fresh installation)? So, you'd need to copy documents & settings from previous setup (on the other drive, by any chance) - and you'd need to reinstall software (if my assumption of new install is correct).

I just figured that out. Thank you for the help though. I shouldve actually tried to fix it myself before posting.

What's confusing is that you haen't mentioned what you did to fix your problem. At one point, the drive was reading at 1.99GB. The next minute, you're missing shortcuts.

Did you reload XP? Did you alter the contents on the hard drive in any way? Are you logging on with the same USER ID?

~cdogg

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."
- A. Einstein

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back