Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Western Digital hard drive - SMART fails, Short test passes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 7, 2007
US
I'm trying to figure out if there is anything wrong with a computer or the hard drive.
The drive is a 1TB W.D. Blue SATA. I ran the W.D. Data Lifeguard Diagnostics short test and it said SMART - Failed, Short test - PASSED

So, I decided to put a different hard drive in (new) and it tests out the SAME exact way. So, guessing it's something to do with the PC vs. the drive. I looked in the BIOS and there is NO area to turn SMART on/off. But that's what it looks like - that this PC doesn't allow communication with SMART on the drive. I don't understand. Not smoking anything this week.

The PC is an HP PC6522F.

hmmm, I've seen this also, You could always take the drive and plug it into a machine that you know has SMART support, and rerun the tests. I really hate how most of the OEMs have such crap BIOS, even their UEFI is crap. Lowest common denominator.

The model is actually HP P6522F and there IS a BIOS update, but the updates doesn't specifically mention anything to do with SMART.
BIOS(‏1) H-RS880-uATX Motherboard BIOS Update
2013-05-08 , Version:6.09, 1.62M
H-RS880-uATX Motherboard BIOS update resolves an issue with resuming from sleep mode on systems configured with 4GB or more of memory.

That really makes me mad because I did the work to replace the hard drive and clone the old over to new, then get punched in the face!!!! I'm really starting to get a grudge against HP stuff in general with recent bad experiences.

SpinRite by GRC.com...

I've had it bring drives back from the dead...

JTB
Have Certs, Will Travel
"A knight without armour in a [cyber] land."

Ummm, did you read the post or just the title of the post? He said he ran diagnostics, and it failed the smart test, not that he couldn't read the data, or that it wasn't able to run. just that it failed the SMART portion of diags. and a NEW DRIVE DID THE SAME THING. Now I ask you what spinrite is supposed to do for this?

And the knives come out........

It will be a while before I go back there, update the BIOS and see if it makes any difference. Still mad at HP.

lol, Come on, it's a legit question, what is spinrite supposed to do in this instance? Don't get me wrong, the lord knows, I've misread questions before, and after posting a response, i later went back, and read everything, and then said to myself, what was I smoking when I wrote that?

No, no - I was COMPLETELY with you after reading the response, but I'm adopting a mellower attitude for general stress reduction. If I can start online, maybe it will spread to real life too.

Mellower, going to have to ask the wife for help with that one. :)

Sorry it took me so long to get back... I've had drives report bad on SMART, run spinrite, and had them report good...

I've also had it kill drives that were on the edge.

Up to you to decide if that's worthwhile advice.

JTB
Have Certs, Will Travel
"A knight without armour in a [cyber] land."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back