Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Western Digital 120GB USB Hard drive/ Unable to access

Status
Not open for further replies.

brazielr

IS-IT--Management
Oct 21, 2003
US
Hey , Im working with a client who has a WD 120GB USB harddrive. It works and you are able to get into the drive. However after leaving the PC on for a Long Period of time, maybe overnight, I can see the drive I click into it, I can see some folder, Then After that I can not get into any of the folders, or access any of the files. It comes up with a error that says can't access drive. Im thinking the only reason it even shows the folders are because they were still in Cache. Now when I unplug the USB harddrive and re Plug it, Everything works fine. I need to find out Why this happens. Does anyone have any idea, or have you ever heard of this?

-Reggie

Do you have any of the power saving features enabled on the PC? I know that hibernation used to switch off the usb ports and did not bring it back up again. This was corrected with one of the service pack releases, and your problem may be similar in nature.

Regards,
Bran

If power saving options are not enabled and the HD is connected to a USB port on the computer, then it's possible that the internal USB hub does not have sufficient power to run the HD consistently, especially if other USB devices are also connected.
If that's the case, then consider installing an external self-powered USB hub, and connect the USB HD to it.

Thanks everyone, I am still trying to find a solution, We have tried it with a USB hub and without, on multiple computers. Western Digital Told my Client that it may have something to do with windows 98, and he may need to upgrade. But we are still looking into the issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back