Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

We're running Oracle 8.1.7 on a Win

Status
Not open for further replies.

OracleVictim

Programmer
Jan 15, 2003
US
We're running Oracle 8.1.7 on a Windows 2000 server. There is a firewall between some of our client apps and the server. Net8 will not communicate with the server through the firewall. It looks like Net8 is communicating out on through the firewall on port 1521 just fine, but it appears that Oracle is trying to come back on a randomly assigned port that has not be opened in the firewall. Has anyone had this problem?

Your analysis is exactly right.

The easy solution is putting USE_SHARED_SOCKET=TRUE in the Windows environment.

There is doc on this in MetaLink - I'll see if I can post the ref later. DaPi - no silver bullet

Thanks so much. This has been a major problem for us. If you can find the ref that would be great!

OracleVictim

My usual chaos is compounded by the start of packing to move at month end! So I did not find the paper copies I used myself.

The following in MetaLink should give you a start:

(quote)
Following notes are various options to make an Oracle connection through a firewall. Access the following notes by entering the note number in the search box and click on Search -

Note: 2084440.6 - Oracle And Firewalls : FAQ

Note: 125021.1 - Oracle Connectivity with Firewalls

Note: 66382.1 - Firewalls, Windows NT and Redirections

Note: 124140.1 - How to enable USE_SHARED_SOCKET on WINNT and Windows 2000

Note:1016349.102 - FIREWALLS AND MTS
(end quote)
DaPi - no silver bullet

It would have been helpful if I had told you that USE_SHARED_SOCKET=TRUE goes in the SERVER's Win environment. DaPi - no silver bullet

Thanks so much, again! Off-hand do you have specific experience with 8.1.7 using this fix?

OracleVictim

We are using use_shared_socket=true to enable communication through a firewall. It works great. We started using it with Oracle 8.0.5 on Windows NT and later migrated to Oracle 8.1.7 on Windows 2000 without a problem.

I think USE_SHARED_SOCKET=TRUE was all I needed to do (we were enabling encryption at the same time, so I'm not 100% sure). Started at 8.1.6.x and still worked after upgrading to 8.1.7.4. I remember that there is a ref to a bug in one of the MetaLink docs, possibly for 8.1.7.0 and possibly for encrpytion - sorry to sound so wet, but I still can't find the stuff I used! DaPi - no silver bullet

Thanks much.

This sounds very familiar. We are running 8.1.7. We installed the 8.1.7.4 patch on a test machine and this seemed to introduce problems with some of our views.

So, what I'm hearing from you is that you recall 8.1.7 having a bug that prevented this fix from working properly, correct?

I went from 8.1.6.x to 8.1.7.4 (never actually used the db while it was at 8.1.7.0). I had no probs at all. DaPi - no silver bullet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back