Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

We're not the only ones . . 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

2ffat

Programmer
Oct 23, 1998
US
We're not the only ones who have a thing to say about pronunciation. Popular Woodworking has an article about the subject. BTW, it's pronounced "saw-PE-lee." My company sells the stuff. Khaya and makore are even worse.

James P. Cottingham
I'm number 1,229!
I'm number 1,229!

We certainly have terms in our IT industry that throw people for a loop, even if they are supposedly already experienced in our industry.[ul][li]I had an instructor in college, teaching assembly language, that kept saying that we needed to use a different "MEM-uh-nick" instead of pronouncing mnemonic as "nem-ON-ic". (I still hear people mispronouncing mnemonic [things dealing with memory] as "new-mon-ic", as though the word was spelled "pneumonic", which refers to things dealing with air.[/li])

[li]While teaching Oracle concepts several years ago (on a Unix-based system), a student told me that he was unable to "six" his file due to permission problems. I asked him to show me what he meant. At the prompt he typed in vi test.sql...Ah, yes, Roman numeral six...to edit a file.[/li][/ul]

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)
“People may forget what you say, but they will never forget how you made them feel.

I had a boss that asked me if I had run a "tracer t". I had no idea what he was talking about until I saw him type "tracert".

At work, I waffle back and forth on the pronunciation of "SQL" ("Sequel" vs. "S.Q.L.").

Yes, Dave, that troubles all of us. It's the mnemonic plague.

--------------
Good Luck
To get the most from your Tek-Tips experience, please read
FAQ181-2886
Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Maybe not the same thing, but I once worked with a woman who always said "alt, control, delete" because that was the order she hit each key.

I always pronounced that wood "sah-pay-lay". I'm a woodworker, but i could definitely be mistaken.

Irregardless (yes, on purpose) of it's pronunciation, it is a beautiful wood!

Thanks,
Andrew

[smarty] Hard work often pays off over time, but procrastination pays off right now!

@2ffat

First let me say woodworking is one of my hobbies and I would love to work where you work, surrounded with exotic woods.

I didn't know sapele so I hunted it down and found that a bloke from the U.K. pronounces Sapele (from the the Hausa language of West Africa), a bit different than you; have a listen:

Sam

A lot of woods have different pronunciations depending on what language is spoken, i.e. American or English. ;-)

James P. Cottingham
I'm number 1,229!
I'm number 1,229!

I agree and I realize that the link I provided is simply one persons pronunciation.

KornGeek said:
...("Sequel" vs. "S.Q.L.")

Or, as some of us "pigs" called it at Oracle University, "Squeal". <grin>

CC said:
...mnemonic plague

HeHeHe.

[santa]Mufasa
“People may forget what you say, but they will never forget how you made them feel.

When you learn how to write code for a piece of logic, you write it in ‘pseudo’ code, which sometimes I called: ‘psycho’ code :)

Have fun.

---- Andy

hjgoldstein said:
Been to California lately?
Plague-infected squirrel shuts Los Angeles park

Oh yeah, California!

-----------
With business clients like mine, you'd be better off herding cats.

Thanks, Phil, for the "heads-up" ! (My wife has been asking me to go back to California, and now I have a good reason to prevent us from going. <grin>)

[santa]Mufasa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back