Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Well guys, I hate to start a new th 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

varcoris

Technical User
Jun 2, 2001
US
Well guys, I hate to start a new thread but after searching the forums I still haven't found my answer. If anyone knows of a thread that answers this, please just point me to it.
So here it is, I have 2 computers, one running Win2k pro and one running Win ME. They are connected over a hub, cables are confirmed to be working properly. The Win ME machine is able to connect to and browse the Win2k computer but the Win2k computer can not browse the Win ME computer. They can both ping each other. Each computer has an assigned IP address, same workgroup, neither is assigned a domain.

Components installed in Win2k are:
Client for Microsoft Networks
File and Printer Sharing
NWLink NetBIOS
NWLink IPX/SPX/NetBIOS Compatible Transport Protocol
Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)

The Windows ME Computer has the appropriately matching components installed.
Is there additional information needed? Just ask and I will answer as quickly as possible. Thanks for your assistance.

just wondering why the second pc uses ME ???
because this pretty much s**** :)

maybe a NTFS FAT32 conflict , that is if Win2K uses NTFS (which it should)

ME and read NTFS over a network, that is no problem. I would like to know why you have NWlink installed. All you hsould really need is TCP/IP on both machines. Maybe try removing these and see if they can browse each other.

NWLink is for the IPX support (network gaming of Starcraft don't ya know
happy.gif
). Anyway, both computers use FAT32 for the drives. As for WinME, it wasn't my choice but my brothers. I sometimes bring in other computers and the WinME machine works fine with other Win98, ME and XP machines. I just can't figure out why 2000 can't browse the ME machine ....

Do you get an error message? When you say it can't browse, do you mean it just doesn't show up in the "My network places" window?

What happens if you do a START, RUN, \\[ip of WinMe]
or \\HostName of the Me computer?

Did you share any resources out on Win Me machine? Can you find the Me machine by the computer name or by the ip address?

I can ping the ME machine from a command prompt however I am unable to locate it in "My Network Places" or by START, RUN, \\[hostname].

Try mapping the Win Me pc shared drive first. Right click on My Network Places on the desktop of the Win 2000 pc.
Click on Map Network Drive. In the Folder name type in
\\[ip of winme pc]\[share name of winme pc shared drive]

\\192.168.187.1\c

If it connects and pulls up the directory check the My
Network Places again to see if it is displayed.

I had a similar problem with unavailable computers in the "my network place". I suggest you could look in the advances parameters of TCP/IP and check the NetBIOS over TCP/IP option. It solved my problem for browsing "my network place". Just a possible solution.

OK, thanks for the suggestions, I am at work but will try that latter tonight.

Enabling NetBIOS over TCP/IP worked, thanks everyone for the hekp!

haha, well, that last word was actually "help"! Sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back