Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Welcome to All

Status
Not open for further replies.

CajunCenturion

Programmer
Mar 4, 2002
US
Given that IT has a reputation, in many cases deserved, for its communication abilities, this forum is born.

As the description states, this forum is for light-hearted discussions on words, word usage, grammar, and related topics to improve our ability to effectively communicate and help us project the right image.

It is hoped that through participation, each of us can improve our communication capabilities.

Good Luck
--------------
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

CC

A very good contribution. My appreciation.

I am not a native english speaker. But I converse in English over 90% of my time in the last 25+ years.

There are groups where they find my Englih very good. And there are people who could find the other way. It depends on if they are native english speakers. And more so to the region they belong.

I for one will find my English terrible, when I find others communicate with appropriate words which I might lack at times.

This site could help me improve.. but still I might turn out to be bad, since english is still not my native language.

:)

ramani,

I have long admired your contributions to this site. And as an unintended criticism for the native English speakers who contribute here, myself included, your English in most cases puts us all to shame. I admire you greatly.

Best wishes,
Bill Castner

I do support Bill's response. Ramani's english and profound programming help I've found to be nothing less than impeccable.

Idioms are great, methinks, to study and use:

"Methinks" (as I used above) is a coy term ... a gentle argumentative idiom, that may be added to much forum communication and/or debate.

"And/or" is another idiom commonly employed.

Methinks, a google search on "idioms" and/or Yahoo might prove fruitful.

Philip

Great forum! Especially for some of us - like me - who are not native English speakers.

Thanks, CajunCenturion.

Dimandja

This is a great forum. Not only is it a place to sharpen our skills (even native speakers need practice), but it's also a lot of fun.

What suprises me is finding out how many people are not native speakers who have such good grammar. Considering how difficult it is (for me at least) to learn any foreign language, I'm greatly impressed by those of you who do so, regardless of your skill level. I think it's a sign of how well you're doing when most people don't even realize that English is your second (or third, etc.) language.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back