Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

weired behavior of the modem

Status
Not open for further replies.

mumia

Technical User
Sep 5, 2004
RO
hello everyone,

i just bought my folks a 56k motorola internal modem and when i tried to install is the computer wouldn't start at all.
i already have a network card inside (realtek chipset). everything worked just fine until i pluged the modem into the pci slot. i pushed the power button and ... surprise ... the computer starts to boot and after 3 seconds it starts beeping like crazy for some seconds and then just hangs up. i have a msi kt333 motherboard and these beauties come with a diagnose led combination. i looked into the book for the color codes and i found out the following:
- just before the computer starts to beep the leds show that "boot attempt - this will set low stack and boot via INT 19h"
- by the time it hangs up, the leds show that: "testing RTC (real time clock)"
and that's pretty much all it does. when i take the modem out, the computer works perfectly. i also tried changing the pci slot, uninstalling the net crad drivers and took the card out ... nothing makes my computer even start with this modem.
what do u ppl think? any help or ideas will be much appreciated!

best regards,
mumia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back