Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Weirdest sendmail problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

rebayona

Technical User
Oct 22, 2001
CO
Hi, I'm using sendmail under Red Hat 7.1. Everything seems to be OK, but people is complaining about some returned mails. I can see the problem in the mail queue, and almost all the time the message error is (checking the maillog file):
to=<theuser@thedomain.com>, delay=1+23:57:45, xdelay=00:03:09, mailer=esmtp, pri=116941068, relay=webeaab.eaab.com.co. [200.24.82.49], dsn=4.0.0, stat=Deferred: connection timed out with webeaab.eaab.com.co

Until here, it sounds like the mail server in the other side is down or something.... the weirdest, spooky and strange thing is when some other user (in my same domain) send an email to the same user in the same other company ... and it gets through!

How that can be? Am I'm going crazy? Enough monitor radiation for me?

Thanks in advance for any help you can (if there is) give,

On other topic, in the maillog file I'm seeing a &quot;command stream end of file while reading line user=myuser hot=[195.69.0.211]&quot;

I've read about it, and this is what they say:

This message occurs when the session is disconnected without a proper
LOGOUT (IMAP) or QUIT (POP) command being received by the server first.
In many cases, this is perfectly normal; many client implementations
are impolite and do this. Some programmers think this sort of rudeness
is &quot;more efficient&quot;.
The condition could, however, indicate a client or network connectivity
problem. The server has no way of knowing whether there's a problem or
just a rude client, so it issues this message instead of a Logout.
Certain inferior losing clients disconnect abruptly after a failed login,
and instead of saying that the login failed, just say that they can't
access the mailbox. They then complain to the system manager, who looks
in the syslog and finds this message. Not very helpful, eh? Refer to
the &quot;Why can't I log in&quot; question under &quot;Problems and Annoyances&quot;.
If the user isn't reporting a problem, you can probably ignore this
message.

My question is.... is there a way to fix this? The problem is starting to grow, since on Monday there was only one user with the message, yesterday they were two, and I just noticed a third user with the same problem!

What is going on?

Cya

Rafael

I think it is the version of Outlook on Windows XP that is causing these messages. I just got a call from one of my Outlook-XP users, who said she was getting the message &quot;Not connected to mail.myserver.com&quot; and sure enough, my mail server log is loaded with these messages.

-August

Nope Augustd, None of them are XP users

I am having the same problem you had with sendmail on Linux 7.1. Some mail is being Deferred: Connection timed out. The problem appears random and weird. The client is Outlook 2000, not that it should matter. Did you find a solution?

I work at an educational ISP that only supports Netscape products (currently we're distributing Communicator 4.72). Our mail server is running Solaris on a Sparc.

We have had this problem quite a bit with people using Microsoft e-mail clients but never with Netscape Communicator. It feels to me like another case of Microsoft's inability to implement an open standard with reasonable accuracy (funny how that is). Since most of the affected users are at schools which endorse Outlook we refer them to their local technicians. I have no idea how they deal with it.

One thing I can say is that we didn't have this problem until we upgraded Sendmail. Not sure what version it started with but right now we're running 8.12.1 and I still get occasional calls about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back