Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Weird Windows 95 Explorer problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

snickm

Technical User
Feb 18, 2002
AU
I have a Windows 95 PC that is having difficulties with Windows Explorer. When you open a Windows Explorer window, whether by the shortcut in the Start menu or by right-clicking a folder and selecting explore, the left hand pane showing all folders appears but the right hand pane which normally shows files is not there. This effectively makes Windows Explorer useful for only displaying a tree view of the hard drive. My initial thought was that the divider between the left and right panes had been dragged so far to the right that when the window was reduced in size the right pane was no longer visible, however, when I increased the window to be as big as possible it didn't help. I am hoping for a quick fix (reg hack or something similar). The machine in question could well have been sabotaged by a disgruntled former employee who only left last week. Any thoughts or help are greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

snickm:

Try this. Run regedit and navigate to the following key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer

Delete the DirectoryColsX binary value.

This registry key is present only in Microsoft Windows 95 operating systems.

Hope this helps.

Hey, thanks for the reply. I tried your fix, at first it didn't seem to work but afterwards when I pointed the mouse at the right hand edge of the window it changed to the "adjust column size" cursor and I was able to resize the columns and make the right side visible again. Can't say for sure if that was what fixed it but it is working now so thanks anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back