Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Weird UofM Question - Reversed 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Borvik

Programmer
Jan 2, 2002
US
Hello,

This is going to seem really weird - it took me a while to finally grasp what my boss was asking of me.

We have a product always purchase at 1 EACH, but always sell at 1 BOX (25 EACH).

So I setup the schedule to have Base UofM: EA. Where EA = 1:EA, PK = 25:EA.
Purchasing Options: EA: Whole, PK: Not Available.
Default Selling of PK, and only PK in the Price List.

This works.

However, the Quantities page is showing the Base UofM: EA. So when we only have 1 box, the quantity is showing 25 - and without realizing that it is EA, he is assuming we have 25 boxes available.

Basically, when he looks up the Quantities he wants to see the boxes as the each - but this would throw off purchasing and our vendor.

Does any of that make sense and is there a way to accomplish this while not mixing up purchasing or our vendor?

Quantities in GP will always show the base UofM, in this case EA. Unless you modify all the windows where this might be shown, there is no way around that if you set up your UofM Schedule to have EA as the base UofM.

The only way to accomplish seeing the quantities as boxes on GP windows out-of-the-box would be to set up a new UofM with PK as the base and EA = .04 of PK. This will work correctly for this particular situation, but if this is simply an example, and you have other items where a pack is different and does not divide evenly (like a 30 pack), this may not work properly. Also, you would need to have 2 decimal places tracked for this item and may end up seeing results like 1.04 PK, which would actually be 26 EA. Hard to say whether that is better or worse and often really depends on what the users need to see more often.

Another option might be creating some custom reports or even lookups for the times when users need to see the PK quantity instead of EA.

Hope this helps to give you some ideas.

Victoria Yudin
Dynamics GP MVP 2005 - 2013
Use Crystal Reports and SSRS with GP:
blog:

Thanks Victoria.

That is very illuminating at how that would work. I had thought something like that may be accomplished, but I think as we were not tracking decimals for our products quantities (most of them anyway) that was why it never really looked like it would work.

After showing that to my boss, he decided that it is currently working and it's not worth changing at this point.

I'll definitely have to remember this for next time though. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back