Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Weird UNC/Shares issue, see if you can help solve the mystery

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArizonaGeek

IS-IT--Management
Aug 21, 2006
US
So Friday night I uninstalled a few useless programs from a shares server. I uninstalled Syamantec Anti-virus (which had been disabled,) some software for our old phone system and I rebooted the server. After the reboot I couldn't get to the shares via IP address which I have being pushed out via a login script. So I run updates reboot a few times and still the same problem. I try to get to the shares via FCDN and it works perfect, ok so a DNS issue?

So, I leave it for the weekend and come in on Monday and EVERYONE is having the issue. Desktops running XP and 7 cannot connect to their shares via IP address. I change the login script to FCDN and it works.

A little back story, we have two domains on two subnets with a trust between the two. The server running the shares is a virtual 2003 standard server with service pack 2. We can UNC to any other server from any machine on the two networks with no issues.

So, what I've done so far to no solution. I double check DNS, I can resolve both forward and backward from the server and any desktop on either domain. After the issue started, I removed all antivirus, made sure the firewall was disabled. Enabled and disabled NETBIOS, we have 4 domain controllers (two for each network) running DNS servers and all four listed as a DNS server under the network properties. I've rearranged them and removed and added them in one at a time. I've checked permissions but that isn't it because it doesn't even make it to the IP address let alone to the shares.

And DNS, you'd think if it were a DNS issue you could get to it via IP address and not FCDN. I am just at a loss. It was working fine and I only uninstalled a couple innocuous programs, nothing else. It had been running fine for years.

The only thing I cannot do is UNC via IP address. I can ping and RDP to the sever via IP or FCDN. It isn't running anything out of the ordinary, we have IPSentry and PCAnywhere client and thats it. I can't get to the UNC doing local host while on the server. I have checked host file and lmhost file and there's nothing that shouldn't be there (local host info is it.) It was getting a deep virus scan every week before I removed Kaspersky and no virus. At this point is has no antivirus software.

This was a P2V on an ESXi 3.5 server about a year ago June or July. No firewall on the ESX server, we can UNC to other VMs on the same server. No old drivers from the P2V, they were all removed when it was converted. Firewall rules have it wide open within the network (for now) so it isn't a firewall issue.

It is just this one server but I cannot for the life of me figure it out. Why can I not UNC to an IP address but no problems with FCDN at the same time I can RDP or ping the IP?

Anyone have any ideas to try? I'd appreciate anything I can get. My boss and I have been banging our heads all week with this.

Cheers
Rob

The answer is always "PEBKAC!

Just as a test, add the server to your local hosts file on your PC (not the server) and see if you can map to the IP address. If so, then it most likely is a reverse DNS issue (check for proper PTR records in DNS).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back