Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WEIRD rights/access issue, anyone wanna help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

freddfish

IS-IT--Management
Mar 7, 2007
US
Howdy!
I am a new admin in a windows2k/2k3 AD environment. I have a user who needs access to a directory in order to run an application... basically, if he can create a file or folder in teh directory, the whole thing falls into place. Simple, right?

As an admin, I have fullcontrol in the dir, and can create a file. I have granted him the same rights based on his grp membership, AND his individual identity. No go, I can't create a file looged in as him.

I have turned off inheritance to no effect, thinking something restrictive was filtering down. I also created a test folder in the same directory as the real one, he can't create in that one either, I can.

What am I missing???

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me...

Fish

How are you setting the permissions?

Right click on My Computer > Manage and open Shared Folders.
Right click on the Folder you are trying to share and click on the security tab.

Verify that his ID and/or group membership is there.

You may also have to log off and log back on as him.

Make sure the user is not a member of a group that has DENY permissions set on the folder. Also, if the folder is a shared folder, you have to check both security on the folder and share permissions on the folder. I believe the most restrictive settings are the effective permissions.

Also bare in mind that you are trying to run an application. Most apps install files in various directories. Therefore just providing the user access to C:\Program Files\App for instance may not be enough to be able to run the app. Check with the app vendor to find out where components are installed and apply the appropriate perms.

the way i do my shares is at the shares level, i give all access to everyone, and at the security NTFS level, that's where i set the specific user permissions. Hope that might help ya. it works for me =)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back