Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

weird rh8.0 network problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

9anth3r

ISP
Sep 3, 2002
US
Hey guys,

I just installed redhat 8.0 (for the 4th time) on this machine and its having some weird network issues.

When i try to browse to certain websites (mozilla.org, macromedia.com etc) the connection times out. But other work fine.

If i do a nslookup on those sites it works fine, but if i try to ping them or traceroute to them it fails.

I replaced the cat5 cable, re-installed RH 4 times already. Nothing works.

I boot into WindowsXP and everything is fine no problems what so ever.

Anyone have any ideas ? I'm gettin pretty desperate here.

Flo

It could be slow DNS servers and sites that block ICMP.

If your local DNS server does not have a resolution in cache for those sites, it has to fetch it. If this process takes too long, your browser times out. But the DNS server is still working on the problem. The next time you hit one of the sites in question (whether from Linux or XP), your DNS can reply to your query immediately.

I also block ICMP protocol (which both ping and traceroute use) to all my websites at my firewalls.

Have you tried waiting 5 seconds and trying the site again when it times out? Want the best answers? Ask the best questions: TANSTAAFL!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back