Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Weird requerement between IPO and Nortel Option11

Status
Not open for further replies.

phonecable5

Vendor
Jul 30, 2015
MX
good day everyone
This is a weird requerement, at least for me.

The user wants to change from Nortel Option 11 to IPO 500
but, they want to make a transition almost "phone by phone"

They want to keep the Nortel working, connect the IPO to the Nortel and his E1 Trunks, and deploy a few phones on the ipo side every week, so, on the week 8, shutdown the Nortel and migrate the trunks to the IPO, shutdown the IPO for 1 hour, adjust the settings and make the IPO the only PBX on the office.

I dont know how to describe the connection from IPO TO the Nortel side, and frankly i dont know about the Nortel world, so, it is posible? It is quick? It is not posible? I will need licenses from the side of the IPO? and from the Nortel?

Thanks in advance for make some light on this weird case.

Nothing fast about an Opt 11 - that is one big beast. yes all of it is possible. It is all done via call routing. The link between the two would be over TIE lines. Not at all a job for a rookie. This will require a skilled tech on both teh IPO and the Opt 11.

Nevertheless if possible I would prepare the IPO rollout well (load firmware on digital phones, put those in the tables, deploy IP phones parallel to old phones wherever possible, check the distribution boxes) and chose a time frame to switch the whole system in one step.

Start with the most important phones and fax machines and become less important with every further endpoint.

Done it recently with pri lines you will need license on ipo for pri if you need more than 8 channels.

And voice networking license if you want to use QSIG. And an additional interface on the Nortel or IP Office...

Assuming you want name and number, you'd want to run QSIQ on the PRI connection. Whether you can run QSIG on the Nortel side is dependent on the software release on that system and if it has the correct software packages. Otherwise, you can use any other flavor of T1/PRI to accomplish the same thing.

If the Nortel side is a newer software release, you can use vacant number routing to point CDP/DSCs to a specific route. That will save you from having to create a CDP/DSC entry each time you out a phone on the Nortel and build it in the IPO. If it's an older release, you'll have to out the phone on the Nortel, then build a CDP/DSC code pointing that extension to the trunk route that connects to the IPO.

Either way, it won't be fun doing a piece-n-parts cutover. If you're using IP phones, I'd place the new IP phones on the users desks, have them logged in as the correct user, then flash cut that pig. If something doesn't work, put the trunks back on the Nortel and reassess the situation.

Phonecable5
Not easy if you don't know the Nortel.I have done this in the past .
You need someone that knows Nortel.

Create a Tie T1 between the IPO and Opt11 (I used a PRI/ Tie but a pkg needs to be removed from service from the Opt11 in order to do this)
Route all calls from IPO (ARS) through to the Option 11 and out
Calls in would need to be CDP'd to the IPO one by one depending on your number range.

Parts
Option11 you need a spare E1 card
IPO you need a E1 card and Lic ( I assume your moving your E1 from the Opt11 in the end so you should be good with this)

I used to have super powers but my therapist took them away...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back