Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Weird rendering in non-MSIE browser in Win: Wide stretching

Status
Not open for further replies.

SetoKaiba

Programmer
Jun 16, 2004
US
I believe this problem happens in a lot of browsers, even in IE for Mac. The tables basically explode, going to a width of 2000px or more. However, these tables are confined in a div:

<div style="position:absolute; top:96; left: 33; width:750;">

which is properly closed at the end of the file.

My site can be located here: I have a sneaking suspicion that the problem is being caused by Fieldset.

I actually have no problem with your site in Mozilla, Opera or IE6. One thing that springs to mind is you failing to use units with your code. For non-zero values, you must always supply units (except with line-height) so your proper code should look like:
Code:
<div style="position:absolute; top: 96px; left: 33px; width: 750px;">

What about for percentage values? If you look at that code, (and if I were to show you others), it's the FIELDSET code that seems to jump out of bounds.

may i suggest you give the document a complete doctype, and then post back with your findings?

*cLFlaVA
----------------------------
[tt]insert funny quotation here.[/tt]

You can put percentage in as well, percentage is a unit. Judging from the numbers you have supplied I gathered you meant pixels rather than percentage. Now, looking at it again, <fieldset> kind of sticks out. Why? It is 100% wide, has default margins, padding and border. That pushes its width well over 100% thus making it stick out. Simple solution? <fieldset> is similar to <div> a block level element and as such has 100% width by default. Removing the width specification in Mozilla makes my fieldset stay within it's container. If that does not work, you could try removing margins, padding and border or taking those values into consideration and make <fieldset> a fixed width.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back