Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Weird "Access Denied" Error

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaultheS

Programmer
May 12, 2005
CA
I'm running a small network here (9 computers) and there are a few computers on it giving us a weird problem.

Their shared files can be accessed, opened, copied, etc., with no problems. The problem comes when I try to copy folders (for backup purposes). There is an error saying Access Denied. I can open the folder and copy all of the files, but if I go back out and try to copy the folder, nope.

I can get more specific details if necessary, but does anyone know what the problem is and/or how to fix it?

You have the rights to the files but not the folder. You need to have the rights to the folder to copy the folder itself.

Okay, new problem now...

When I try to copy files over, some files give me the error "Cannot copy ____: Access is denied. Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected and that the file is not currently in use."

The disk is most definitely not full, and the file isn't currently in use. Also, I've set permissions to the entire folder and checked "Apply settings to all child objects", so I should have access to these files. Most of them can be copied, but there are a few that can't (a couple were Word documents, and one Access database that I noticed).

Any thoughts on this? Are there other causes for this error?

What happens if you right-click on one of the files that you are having difficulties with and select properties.
Click on the tab SECURITY and select "ADVANCED". Select "Effective permissions" and see if you have the rights from there.

Other than that, my guess would be that the files are opened and you don't know about it. The server thinks it's open (due to a user not closing an application correctly) or the files requires special rights that you and i are not aware of.

I'm not really a Windows administrator, everything i'm telling you is from experience only. I'm sorry i cannot be of more help.

Good luck.

If XP, the user on the machine attempting the copy should be made a member of the Backup Operators Group.

Thanks bcastner, I've read up on this and it seems like your solution would work, but where do I add the user to this group? Is it in Control Panel -> Administrative Tools..., or is it somewhere in the network settings? It just seems to me like if it was done in Control Panel -> Administrative Tools it wouldn't know which network I was using... Maybe I'm just a little confused though... Any tips?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back