Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Weird Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

LBL626

IS-IT--Management
Jun 7, 2001
US
Hi all,
I have a computer that started making an alarm like noise when in excel (it would stop and then re-occur)and also when you right click on the c drive it says that it has 885mb used and 2gigs free but it doesn't show anything used on the pie chart. Any suggestions would be great

Would this problem ONLY occur while in Excel or while in other apps or doing anything else at all? It sounds to me like it's your internal alarm for an overheating issue. Most BIOS's will allow you to check the temperature inside in the BIOS when you boot your pc up.

Thanks for replying.
Mostly in Excel but when exiting it started alos. I checked the BIOS for this machine and it didn't specify any information about temp. That is what I thought the problem was. About the properties issue, any idea.

One thing you can do is to open up your machine and run it. When you hear the beeping - you'll know where the noise is coming from. I've heard a dying CD that would screetch, along with video and CPU fans. Some hard drives also have alarms. They are rare, but they're out there.

I've seen hard drives with kind a dolphin sound (best description I can think of) that indicates a failing drive.

Is this perhaps what you are hearing? If so it should be happening all over the place, not just in Excel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back