Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Weird problem with 5 weekly backup in 1 month 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

cestus

Technical User
May 6, 2002
US
I am running BE on a daily differential and a weekly normal backup, however I came across a strange problem. I run the weekly backups on friday night, but there are months with 5 fridays. If i run a week 4 and a last week backup, they will stack and backup twice. Anyone know how to backup ONCE per week, even during 5-friday weeks?. Thanks for your time!

M Hannan

I worked around that problem this way

I use a base of 12 tapes in my rotation. That allows me to have two weeks of Differential backups and three weeks of Full backups, and finally, one tape for a monthly long-term archive. They are labeled like this:

Monday Week 1 (Week 2)
Tuesday Week 1 (Week 2)
Wednesday Week 1 (Week 2)
Thursday Week 1 (Week 2)

Friday Week 1 (Week 2, 3)

Friday Monthly Archive

Once created, I change the label on the tape (both physically and in BE) to the exact date of the archive and send it offsite for long-term storage.

Then I get a new tape, initialize it into BE and make it my new Friday Monthly Archive tape.

This way it really doesn't matter which Friday is getting backed up or if a given month has five Fridays. You will always be sure that there will be 28 days (four Fridays) from the time any of the Friday backup jobs will run.

I hope I've explained myself well enough. If you have any questions, I'd be happy to help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back