Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Weird problem Options 61

Status
Not open for further replies.

bfuller83

Programmer
May 15, 2007
US
I have an option 61 and I am having problems with random digital phones randomly going off hook or having a crackle on them or locking up and having NDT even though they have a display. Most times I disu and enlu the tn in 32 and it clears up for a moment anyway. I have narrowed this down to one 200 pair that I have having the problems on. I don't believe that is the the PBX and the reason I am posting this here is because I am wondering if others have seen those symptoms and found a reason for the behavior? Some troubleshooting we have done. Checking all grounds to make sure they are good and they seem to be. So far the solution seems to be change the gas protector on the far end of the cable is correcting the issue. I have been working with a vendor and we all think it is transient voltage somewhere on the cable but narrowing down where it is problematic. I put a volt meter on one of the pairs having the problem and don't read any voltage AC or DC. This is probably one of the shortest runs of 200 pair on my campus and there are no splices except at one end of the cable and it is mounted in a server room on the wall. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated this one has me really baffled.

Bradley A. Fuller
Manager, Network Infrastructure
Kellogg Community College

Check that none of the affected extensions follow a standard path such as being on the same shelf or digital card etc. It could be a power problem on the Option 61.

Assuming that this isn't the case, then the cabling needs to be checking to see if recent activity such as building work near to the cables are the cause. Also actual damage might be an issue.

Try and move any reported phones to a spare digital card on a different shelf if possible to find out if the problem repeats again.

Firebird Scrambler
Nortel and Avaya Meridian 1 / Succession and BCM / Norstar Programmer

Very advance high level knowledge on the Linux BCM phone system.

Website

Thanks for your response! It doesn't seem to be isolated to any card or cabinet. Since I realized there was a pattern I have been keeping track of what tn's and I have them all over the place.

The one thing that these all have in common is the cable they are on. I just have never seen anything quite like it and of course most of the cable is underground in pipe. You think there could be damage along the cable causing the issue? I was thinking in a splice case but from what everyone recalls there is only one splice on this and we can easily see that and easily tell that it is damage free. The other interesting thing is there is gas protectors at both ends and I only seem to be loosing the far end protectors. Thanks again

Bradley A. Fuller
Manager, Network Infrastructure
Kellogg Community College

Hello Bradley

I've had cases where remote sites with loads of analogue extensions and long cable lengths overhead and underground such as a Quarry etc have given me odd faults that were down to the lightning protectors that were fitted to prevent damage.

It would sound to me that your gas protectors could be an area to look at. You might have a bad earth that needs attention or just the protectors that are now starting to fail on a regular basis.

Firebird Scrambler
Nortel and Avaya Meridian 1 / Succession and BCM / Norstar Programmer

Very advance high level knowledge on the Linux BCM phone system.

Website

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back