Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Weird Power Problem w/ ASUS P5a board

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 6, 1999
CA
Hi, guys !!<br>
<br>
I'm quite new to ASUS boards.<br>
<br>
Here's my problem : oftentimes, my system will turn itself off as soon as i turn it on. Sometimes, <br>
it will let me get to Windows without problems and even work for over an hour and then it will just <br>
shut itself off. It's definitely not a wiring problem on the outside -- I've checked several high-capacity <br>
grounded power strips as well as various power cords. The thing keeps simply shutting itself off in <br>
the middle of a computing session.<br>
<br>
I also hear that weird beep others had mentioned even though the ASUS Pc Probe software shows <br>
all the temperatures and voltages to be within acceptable limits. <br>
<br>
A little more about my setup: ASUS P5A board, K62-450 CPU w/ a nice large ball-bearing fan on it, <br>
128 MB of quality PC100 RAM, an IBM DeskStar HDD (U-DMA), a CD-RW drive from Ricoh and a <br>
Pioneer DVD drive, ATI Rage Fury videocard, an Ethernet card, an ATX case w/ a 250W power supply, <br>
etc, etc, running Win98.<br>
<br>
I have even turned off all the Power Management features in the BIOS and in Windows. Yet the problem <br>
remains. Any feedback at all would be very appreciated.<br>
<br>
Please help me out with this !!!<br>
<br>
Best regards,<br>
Andriy Mishchenko

Try removing all wires from the front panel of the case to the motherboard &<br>
see if the problem persists. Also double-check CPU dual voltage settings<br>
on the motherboard against that which is printed on the chip. Also reseat the<br>
CPU chip & memory chips. If that checks-out, boot Windows & look for any<br>
improper installed devices in Control Panel/System.<br>
Hope this helps.<br>
<A HREF="mailto:GoTech@GoTechnologiesInc.com">GoTech@GoTechnologiesInc.com</A>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back