Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Weird - Ping works one way but not the other

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingpin2502

Technical User
Nov 13, 2002
GB
Hi ALL

I've had a look through the groups and found helpful hints but nothing as yet that can solve this very weird problem I have at home.

I have three machines labelled

1. M1 - Win XP with a recent install of SP2 Connected directly to my Netgear router.
2. M2 - Laptop running XP & SP2 running wireless connection.
3. M3 - Win2k server

Now M1 can ping both M2 and M3 but neither of these machines can ping back. It times out. I believe this is either due ti my Sygate Personal firewall or the Windows Firewall but I cannot find a way of solving this. What's even odd is that I made changes in the Windows Firewall and now M2 can connect via remote desktop.

The only other difference between M1 and M2/M3 is they both are in different domains.

Any help here would be appreciated.

To prove your idea you could try the ping with your firewall deaktivated.
Then to solve the problem you might search for a rule in your firewall that doesn't allow incoming icmp traffic.
Another thing:
It sounds like you are using two firewalls on the same machine. I think that there's no use in using two firewalls on the same machine at the same time. You can achieve everything you need by using only one firewall in most cases.
bye,
busche

Windows XP 2 by default disable ICMP if you enable ICF, go to the connection properties and click on advanced, click on ICMP and check Allow echo, that should enable the machine to reply ping, but it is always a good idea to disable it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back