Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Weird Password lockout issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

zbtmage

IS-IT--Management
Jul 2, 2004
US
hey all - I have a bizarre issue. I am trying to connect to my file server with a laptop that's not a part of the current domain. The file server is windows2000server and the laptop is just windows 2000.

With my other file servers here, I can simply type in the IP address in a run prompt - ex. \\192.168.1.1 , hit enter - and have it prompt me for a username and password as to who to connect as.

With this particular file server, when I type in the IP at a run prompt on the laptop it seems to be automatically trying to log in as administrator (because that's the default account name on the laptop) - then it tells me the accounts been locked out. I can check AD on the server, and it locks out the administrator account (natrually because it's sending the wrong user name / pw combo and the policy must be set to lockout at that)

It all comes down to - why in the world isn't it prompting me as to who I want to log in as like it does with the rest of my servers? This would easily solve the problem. I know I can go about it other ways, but I need to do this to about 500 laptops, and I'm having the same problem with all of them with this one particular server.

Thanks in advance!

How to connect to a shared folder using different user accounts

As administrator, you may want to access to a administrative shared folder from a client computer. You can do this by using net use h: \\servername\c$ /user:domain/administrator.

i.e (maps h: to the unc path specified)

net use h: \\fileserver\\c$ /user:domain\john mypassword

for more go to command prompt and type "net use /?"

sorry, mapping is all i could find for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back