Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Weird network problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

crashc123

Technical User
Oct 3, 2001
US
I have 10 computers and one printer/scanner/etc. that I network. One is running XP and the rest Win2000. I am using the client for Microsoft windows, file and printer sharing for MS Networks and the TCP/IP on most of the computers is assigned dynamically (except for the printer/scanner and one computer that the scans are sent to). I am using Lynksys 8-port router and 16-port workgroup hub. This network has been in place, started about a year ago with just the hub and Win98, 6 months ago added DSL internet access (with router), 3 months ago added the printer/scanner stuff, added 3 of the 10 computers, and switched all computers to Win 2000.

About a week ago everything went down, no internet and no network. Have since replaced the router and hub. Seems to have taken care of most of the problems, however some of the computers lose internet and network connections randomly, mainly happens on only one computer. When I reboot that computer everything is fine. But this continues to happen.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Sonya

Hi,

First thing to check is the cabling - does it vary between Thin Ethernet and then onto cabling? If you have a variety of cabling types then that can cause you some grief.

Also , have you tried using a network sniffer? That could point out where the data packets are being lost on your network.

Also , your Network Points - are they all still wired in correctly, have they come loose ( inside the casing ? ).

D "What happens if I press *that* button?"

How it is configured the hub? Is it manageable? Does it have 10/100 autosensing? Sometimes there can apear problems because of this. Try also to change the port in the hub, use one that was used before, and you know that it is ok.
But, actually what do you mean "computers lose internet and network connections" ? Maybe it is a software problem. Gia Betiu
m.betiu@chello.nl
Computer Eng. CNE 4, CNE 5

sonnyjim
All the cables are the same and I not sure about them coming loose but I don't think that is the case, but how would I check that? By just a visual inspection, the connections to the plug look fine, nothing is loose.
Also could you recommend a good network sniffer?

GiaBetiu
The router is an 8-port 10/100 Switch and the workgroup hub is actually a 10/100 switch.

I just talked to a co-worker when asked if he had any messages on his machine like "Netowrk cable has been disconnected." He said yes he has gotten that while he was downloaded web pages but he didn't have any problems downloading the web page.

Could this be because it is a switch? When the connection is being used it "shuts down"?

Thnaks for your help for a "newbie'
Sonya

Sonya,
try to isolate the problem. First change the cable from that computer. It is a phisical problem, so you have to work on this level. Looks like a very short disconnection. That's can be because of the reason that I told you above, or can be because of the faulty connection ( cable, network card, maybe just something on sockets).
The stations with problems are they linked just to one of the switches? Or you have problems on both?
Also, try to force the network card on a workstation with problems, to use just 100 (or the common speed that you use).
Gia Betiu
m.betiu@chello.nl
Computer Eng. CNE 4, CNE 5

You might also want to check and see if his nic is sending out bad packets. I've had one nic so bad that the other users on the network coulnd't see the domain. Good luck. Glen A. Johnson
Microsoft Certified Professional
gjohn76351@msn.com

"By attempting the impossible, the possible is achieved."
Henri Barbusse (1873-1935); French writer.

i have an analouge problem, i think it's the card driver the problem, i have a card with Realtek 8139b chipset, and at 10 mbit all work, but in 100mbit nothing work.
check taht your nic work with winxp.

bye
Fabio Visentin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back