Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Weird mouse problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

MainePC

Instructor
Oct 21, 2004
US
Actually I don't think it is the mouse, since we have tried a different mouse and the same problem appears. Here is the scenario:

At bootup, the computer goes to the desktop fine. The cursor is in the center of the screen and appears fine. However, when an icon is clicked (such as to open a program or document on the desktop), the cursor immediately begins flickering on and off, and is in reality continuing to double-click the icon. The cursor can be move off the icon quickly, but in the meantime, that document or program has in effect been double-clicked several times. And it opens several times.

To solve the problem, I use the keyboard to open the Control Panel. I don't change any settings or open anything in Control Panel, I just open the folder. Then I close the folder. After that, the cursor is fine and acts perfectly normal until the next bootup, when it goes through this same thing again.

This computer has no spyware, and the virus definitions are up to date. The OS is Windows XP Home with SP2. Any ideas or suggestions are welcome!

Look in safe mode/device manager and see how many mouse entries you have. If more than one (or yellow mark), delete them all (you may have to use alt+F4 to close/reboot). Windows will find the mouse on reboot. This is a common PS2 mouse isn't it?

It is a regular PS2 mouse. Thanks for the suggestion, I will tell my client to try that and let you know what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back