Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Weird mouse behavior

Status
Not open for further replies.

scottew

IS-IT--Management
Mar 6, 2003
US
I have a new Dell laptop running Windows XP Pro SP2. When I hook up an external mouse, the mouse is very jerky when you use it within an application. When you are on the desktop it is fine. All drivers are installed.

Anyone ever experience anything like this?

Any help would be appreciated.

Optical mouse on a desk with that glass overlay stuff does this.

I dont use a mousepad with any optical mouse, just put it on a piece of blank white paper that I tape down and use it that way.

Yes, it is an optical mouse.

I have tried it on a mouse pad, without mouse pad on a desk which is black formica, no glass. But I have not tried it with a blank paper so I will give that a shot.

That was my problem, but I went and bought a new mouse pad for the optical. The piece of paper sounds much cheaper.

The Blank sheet of white paper works everytime.

Al Odlum
vicomm2@netscape.net

For Networking..............see me

If the mouse is working well on the desktop, does it not seem unlikely that there is a problem with the desk surface?

scottew, does this happen in all applications or just some?

Carlsberg don't run I.T departments, but if they did they'd probably be more fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back