Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Weird Message - Error #1705 in Getstyles (0)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TinyNinja

Programmer
Oct 1, 2018
US
Hey VFP Community,

I need some help please. Has anyone seen this error before and knows how to fix it?
I downloaded and using Visual Foxpro Advance (10/19/2020 edition).

I have created a form and trying to add a grid and format it correctly. I have no problem linking the table to the grid which only has 3 columns. The problem happens when I click on 2. Style - this odd error pops up. I have never seen this error before.

I re-created this form on VFP9.2 and no error ever appeared. I'm not sure what to do.
Also, I check that spot in the file directory for VFPA & VFP9 and it does not exist. Very odd to me.

VFP_coqig3.png

I'm not sure why you say that this is a weird message. Error 1705 is the standard "File access denied" error. Presumably Visual FoxPro Advanced is simply trapping this error and displaying in its own message box.

So, the relevant file (GridStyle.DBF) is either read-only, or is opened exclusively somewhere else, or you are trying to open it for exclusive use while it is open (exclusively or otherwise) somewhere else.

Mike

Visual FoxPro articles, tips and downloads

It's weird since I am not using exclusive on any of the tables in the form and I feel like nothing should be causing it an error. That dbf does not exist where VFPA thinks it is.

I found the GRIDSTYL file in a odd spot I have never gone before - C:\Users\...\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual FoxPro 9\Wizards

I was able to open it without a problem which makes me think there is nothing wrong with it and VFPA shouldn't be having an issue.

My apologizes, I feel this was a rookie mistake. [dazed]

I just decided to copy the DBF to the local wizard folder for VFPA and it solved my issue.

It works like a charm now

IMHO you should not install ANYTHING in C:\Program Files (x86)
I have my VFP devs in:
D:\PROGRAM\VFP7
D:\PROGRAM\VFP9
D:\PROGRAM\VFPA
That way I don't have a problem with spaces in paths or with reinstalling Windows on C:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back