Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Weird keyboard issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 9, 2004
US
Not sure if this is a virus but I have a few users who hit various keys and it displays different characters.

For example a Q turns in to a T or the / is turned into a ' mark.

We have a corporate AV and dont think we have any virus.

Sounds more like a keyboard mapping issue. Check your keyboard settings in Control Panel.

Jim W.

I have had a similiar issue with my PC, I think in my case it was a memory leak in one of the applications I was running. I rebooted my PC and everything returned to normal. I know the PC's where I work rarely get rebooted unless there's an issue that requires a reboot.

I have also run into this as well. In my case the affected keys were the qwertyuiop letters. When you hit these keys they would enter the correct letter but also an adjacent number character as well. I ran every virus/spyware scanner on earth. It turned out to be nothing more than the keyborard. Try replacing the keyboard first. It will save you a lot of headaches. I hope this helps.

Only time I ever ran into it was when a user spilled a little water on the keyboard of his laptop.

Of course he didn't bother telling me until confronted him with it. He didn't think it was important that he tell me since "... it was only water!"

[sub]"The Crystal Wind is the storm, and the storm is data, and the data is life. You have been slaves, denied the storm, denied the freedom of your data. That is now ended; the whirlwind is upon you . . . . . . Whether you like it or not."[/sub]

[sup]"Trent the Uncatchable" in The Long Run by Daniel Keys Moran[/sup]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back