Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

weird issue with external voicemail

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mitelpassion

IS-IT--Management
May 2, 2005
ZA
have a weird issue with external voicemail system.
have 3300 running 9 UR 3.
Voicemail is connected to 3300 via PRI Qsig.

if orignating call is internal:
1. extension phones another extension that reroutes to voicemail
result - all is fine

if orginating call is internal:
2. extension phones another extension, then gets transferred to a different extension which reroutes to voicemail
result - all works as expected

if orignating call is external:
1. result - all is cool

if orgination call is external:
2. result - external caller gets ringing eventhough the voicemail system has actually answered.

any ideas...tried playing with COS settings and have enabled DPNSS/QSIG diversion.

Do you have public to public transfer in COS for all parties involved???

I have found that the DPNSS/QSIG option works in some situations and not in others. I have yet to find a pattern to the behaviour. Suffice it to say, I toggle it both ways during testing to see if it influences the results.

Try turning it off and test again.

Occam's Razor - All things being equal, the simplest solution is the right one.

logged this with support, no resolve from them but I managed to figure out the following:

cos for PRI trunk to voicemail system had cov/ons set to yes. turn this off then all is fine.

Why do I have cov/ons port set to yes on a trunk cos you may ask?

VM turns on MWI on phone. when you phone voicemail it turns MWI off as soon as voicemail answers, regardless if you actually listen to your messages or not. not ideal.
setting cov/ons option in the trunk cos to yes, MWI only turns off when messages are actually listened to and voicemail system sends MWI deactivate via QSIG to the system.

support is of the opinion that it's design intent, which I'm not arguing with but why would the COS option in the trunk cause ringing in the callers ear in stead of playing the audio?

Mitelpassion, if there is a COS option to set it as an ONS port, then that stands to reason that someplace in the code it has no other way of knowing what is connected other than that flag. If you have it set to yes, it would just send the audio through, it if was a trunk port (set to no) then other bits would be inserted to detect the ringing and connect in the proper endpoint.

I don't understand the MWI bit, I think that may only apply to external calls correct?

I'm not sure here, so I'll defer a bit, but I know that on a straight T1, ringback would be provided by the VM. Not sure on a PRI but you may be hearing ringback from the VM and although the VM shows it answered, it truely hasn't.

Ralph

MWI bit:

place a call to another extension, while extension rings press envelope button. MWI on destination set is lit. On destination set ring back number that left the call back message. Moment the set answers MWI lite is automatically extinguished.

if embedded voicemail leaves call me back message on phone, merely phoning voicemail and it answering does not extinguish the MWI lamp. you have to physically delete the message before lamp is turned off.

External voicemail leaves call me back message. phone external voicemail system and it answers, it will turn off MWI - not cool cause I haven't even listened to the messages.
Turning on the COS in the trunk to flag it as a voicemail port gets around this. If this option is turned on then phoning the voicemail and it answers does NOT turn the MWI light of anymore. you have to listen to the messages first then external voicemail sends MWI turn of command via Qsig.

UncleRalph
I'm sure voicemail has answered. I can see in the voicemail traces the B channel gets connected and the appropriate mailbox responds.
from my post remember the scenario works if a call is not transferred to a station that has voicemail, in other words if DID is dialled and phone has reroute to voicemail it works.

Only if you answer it first and then transfer to a phone with reroute to voicemail do you hear ringing instead of the voicemail 'lady'.
Internally it works whichever way.

Bizarre - for now they'll have to live with the fact that if they dial voicemail, the MWI lamp will be turned off.

Ah, I see, here's the difference. When you call someone and hit the message button, this is given to call control only, not voicemail. So when you call back voicemail, as soon as it makes the connection, the MWI lamp is shut off by Call Control since it's job is done, you called back the number. This will extinguish the lamp that voicemail itself also set because that extn has a message.

In short, in the method that you described, there are two (separate) places that the MWI indication is kept, call control and voicemail. When either's conditions are set, they will turn off the lamp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back