Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

weird files in preferences folder

Status
Not open for further replies.

njxbean

IS-IT--Management
Jan 14, 2003
US
OK. i was working on someones computer and i was looking in the preferences folder and they had about 15-20 weird files in the foler. foer example the file might be named g@#$!#$^@&. it always began with g and was followed by weird characters. all of the files were 4k in size. So, first i updated the virus scan and scanned the folder, which found nothing. second i removed the files from the folder. this crashed the computer. i rebooted and found that a new file similarly named popped up in the folder. Should i be concerned? Usually i say if it aint broke dont fix it. Anyone seen this or have any idea about what this could be. the computer was running fine after the boot by the way.

I know you can get things like this if you have language kits installed.
“ú–{Œê‰ðÍƒvƒ‰ƒOƒCƒ“‰ŠúÝ’è
ƒ†[ƒUŽ«‘-‹tˆø

It probably ain't broke. Don't fix it.

In addition to the language kit explanation above:

1) The odd names may be formed from a corrupted file being written when the program and/or computer crashes.

2) The odd names might also be intentional.

If you are curious about their origin, try viewing the file contents in a binary file viewer (or SimpleText/TextEdit, if they are text files).

- - picklefish - -

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back