Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

weird Error message renewing ip

Status
Not open for further replies.

oatmealr

ISP
Jan 11, 2002
US
When I try to renew the IP address on my computer XP gives me the error: "An error occurred while renewing interface Local Area Connection: The system cannot find the file specified." Now at first it sounds like the ipconfig command is not installed, but I can run ipconfig by itself or with the /all and it works. It is as if it doesnt recognize the /renew command. The computer doesnt get an IP on boot, and I have only been able to get online through a static IP. Has anyone seen this error?
I have searched online but cannot find anything relating to this.

yes I am getting the same error, I have tried doing the netsh int reset resetlog.txt at the command line, which according to the MS knowledge base should reset TCP/IP properties, but that didnt work.

I am stumped by this and got tired of of looking and reinstalled but i would like to know if any resolution to this

Have you recently installed a firewall?
Mc Affee or Nortons?
Keith Connors
A+, Network +, MCP, CNA
Desktop Technician

New to this, so bear with me. Seems to me I've experienced issues with the XP firewall being enabled when I've tried renewing my IP Address while on a cable modem to my ISP. If you disable it and try to renew IPAddress, you may find that it works for you without the error message. XP has a nasty way of making you believe that everything that works on your PC should not affect other normal operations. So, try disabling your firewall first.

Hello,

I think I may have found a different solution for this problem. I had this issue on a laptop. The internal nic would not work with either a dynamic or static IP. It did not matter which network I tried to connect to either. And like many others, I uninstalled and reinstalled just about everything I could think of. The only I could not figure out how to do was remove the TCP/IP stack from the troubled connection - apparently you just cannot do this with XP.

I never had McAfee, so while my symptoms were the same, this was not a solution that I could apply. I did a little research into Windows XP and realize that the problem could have something to do with the Internet Connection Sharingg and/or the Internet Connection Firewall. Now, both of these were disabled in my tcp/ip settings, but I read a number of KB articles relating to problems connecting via cable/dsl/lan which discussed some of the conflicts surrounding ICS/ICF.

I also noted that the the non-working connection properties (advanced tab) had a section for Internet Connection Sharing that my working connections (docking station and wireless) did not. Again, nothing was enabled.

I went into Add/Remove windows programs into Networking Services and took the check mark out of "Internet Gateway Device Discovery and Control Client (all the other boxes were unchecked).

After rebooting, the problem was resolved. The caveat here is that because I have multiple nics, I will have multiple connectoids under Network Connections when they are plugged in to the computer. The significance here is that when I rebooted with the cable in the troubled socket, both connectoids were present. Although, I did have to disable the the troubled connectoid and enable the other to achieve success. I am not sure if I would have had success without the second nic. There may be other solutions in the areas that I covered.

Best of luck

This is almost always a result of Norton or McAfee being upgraded or uninstalled. For some reason, they mess up the TCP/IP dependancies and the only fix that I have seen work (because we as an ISP don't support that software) is to do a system restore : Start>Programs>Accessories>System Tools>System Restore. Once in restore, pick a date before it stopped working and is in bold. Click on it and go thru the prompts. It should work on reboot...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back