Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

weird boxes and lines after exporting to pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.

cryingformommy

Technical User
Dec 13, 2005
CA
long time listener, first time caller....

Having some trouble when I export my indesign file to pdf.

I've built all my pages in Illustrator, saved it as .eps and placed it in Indesign. The Ill. files contain placed .psd files which have transparent backgrounds. I actually don't know if they're transparent. They have no backgrounds. (ie. when i open them in PS, there's the image that i want and the background is the checker pattern).

When i export to pdf... i get a white box around the placed .psd images. Not the whole thing tho, it only happens over vector shapes. When they're over other .psd images, they're fine.

I also get weird faint lines where vector shapes join with the .psd images. That I can live with b/c the lines don't come out when I print. It just looks annoying on screen. But if I can get rid of them that would be wonderful.

I've used the x-1a setting as suggested throughout the forum. But it still does that. I've kicked my computer. But I think that made it worse.

help?

should i kick harder? how hard?

thank you so much in advance.

cryingformommy.

Hi,

I pressume the white lines happen when you view your exported pdf in Acrobat and that you are working on a laptop or have a flat screen?

If so, go to your preferences in Acrobat (with no document open) and find the 'page display' options.

Here you will see something saying 'smooth text', 'smooth line art', 'smooth images'. If they are checked, try unchecking them and reopen your pdf file.

hope it helps
carlow

Thank you carlow!

That did the trick for the white lines. Does that only happen for laptops and flatscreens? If I send it to someone on a crt it'll be fine?

Any help for me on the white boxes behind my .psd images?

Thanks again.

cryingformommy.

hi,

glad it worked. The preferences only work on your machine and are not included in the document, everything should work ok on a CRT screen.

About the psd images, have you tried to switch to high quality view, does it still happens then?

Or is it when creating the PDF.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back