Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Weird back-up issue to DDS4

Status
Not open for further replies.

brettums

IS-IT--Management
Dec 27, 2000
US
In the past I've had problems w/ a Tapedrive in a Dell Poweredge server 2500. Recently I replaced the Tape drive from the server. Since I swapped out the tape drives I have the following issue and I'm stumped. Read on....

I do back-ups to a tape drive(DELL 2 DDS4) on the local machine and to one other remote machine (at night Full back-up). Back-up work GREAT!

I try and backup remote server (by itself)I get this error message.
Storage device "DELL 2" reported an error on a request to write data to media.

Error reported:
Data error (cyclic redundancy check).

^ ^ ^ ^ ^

(keep in mind remote agent is installed on the remote server)

Two things I've tried to do already...

-re-created new jobs, same error
-I tried different tapes, same error.
I'm stumped....

I have one more idea and that is installing NEW drivers from Veritas. Any other suggestions? Do you think I have to re-install Veritas 8.6?

Please advise
thanks guys!
-Brett

I am using a Dell 2500 with the same seagate tape drives. I have replaced the tape drive 3 times. Also calling dell on it each time. I finally got a tech support call to someone who new what was going on.

They had me update the firmware on the drive. Also lowering the speed for the drive on the SCSI configuration from default of 160 to 5. It seems to be working better. Even though they sent you a replacement drive it could have old firmware set on it. I would call dell, it has never been an issue with Backup exec for my DDS4 drives it is always a dell issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back