Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Weird action seen today on a multihomed 2003 server

Status
Not open for further replies.

bitman2112

Programmer
Sep 12, 2009
US
I have a customer site with a split horizon dual homed 2003 server setup.
One horizon (192.168.1.x) goes to the internet and servers mail via exchange.
The other horizon (10.1.10.x) goes to a corporate intranet for with I have no control except to say the
the workstations on this segment MUST access the internet via off site corporate proxy for control.

The internet is slowish on the proxy segmant so the boss who does not use the services and programs on
the intranet wants to be connected to the 192.168.1.x segment and it's un fettered speedy web access.

So today I moved his wire to the switch that only the server and internet router are connected.
While he had screaming internet, I could no longer ping the server by netbios name, map a drive, or net use/view
via it's ip - that can be pinged from his workstation by the way.

It seems like the server services at the very least are not available on this 192.168.1.x nic which I found surprising.
I don't know where to start or even if this is possible.

I need to have the server services still available on the 10 segment.

Thanks.

:Ron

Sounds pretty simple: if you look at the server's NIC in that 192.168 subnet, you'd probably see that some services (and NETBIOS) are disabled on that NIC for security reasons. Also, the server is probably also configured not to listen for DNS on that interface.

Dave Shackelford
ThirdTier.net
TrainSignal.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back