Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Weighting tables

Status
Not open for further replies.

naveenshindhe

Technical User
Jan 22, 2003
GB
Hi,
Please let me know wat is Catalog weighting tables.
Thanks
Naveen

If you apply more weight to one table over the other, that "weighted" table will be treated as being hit after the "lighter" tables are hit in your sequence of processing the sql for the .imr. You use this if you want to get the report to run more efficiently. You adjust weight assignments. If you do not, it assigns them as it sees order. Sometimes, you may want the sql to hit a certain table first to use that join first or something like that. In that case, you would assign less weight to that table. Try it as a test and see how your data reacts to different weight assignments with a test catalog. Everytime you change the weight and run the same report, view the sql and see how efficient or non-efficient it is regarding processing and length of time it takes...ect.
I used to use it, but don't need to much anymore, because I am working with a phenomenal Oracle d.b.a. who makes my job much easier.

CP [cook]

Table weighting allows you to control the way impromptu orders the table-joins in the where clause of the SQL it generates.

It is a performance enhancing feature of Impromptu. Ideally the tables must be weighted in the ascending order of their sizes. Reports with table-joins appearing in the ascending order of their weights will perform better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back