Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Weekly Rotation with Different Media Pools?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bradcarter

IS-IT--Management
Apr 1, 2004
US
Hi,

I'm very new to ARCserve. The only backups I've done before is using rsync so I'm confused on how to set up a backup scheme with ARCserve.

Our corporation has required that once a week we send off backup tapes for off site storage. I'd like to start a full backup on Tuesday 12am and increment from there till the following Monday. Sometime on Monday I'd like to change out the tapes to the next weeks tapes.

Basically I would have 2 sets of tape, one set is in house and the other is off site. We have an HP 1/8 Autoloader so I have enough space to backup all the servers.

I can't figure out how to set up an alternating schedule like this in ARCserve v12. When I pick a rotating schedule I don't see how I can tell it every other week starting with this week using Media Pool 1 and so on. Am I missing something in the setup?

Thanks,

Brad

I'm not sure what you are asking

how to set it up to have two copies of the backup - well for that you could setup to backup to FSD and then tapecopy to two different tapes, or just add a 2nd tape drive.

how to setup a job to backup every other week - not with Rotation, use Custom.

We have the same setup - Bi-Weekly backup so one week is in Loader and 1 week offsite.

Just use Rotation with 5-Day Weekly GFS - Let BrightStor setup Media Pools and you should be good to go

yup, GFS is good for multi pools. Like daily, weekly, and monthly.

If you just need daily and weekly, you can do normal rotation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back