Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

weekly incremental schedule

Status
Not open for further replies.

web4fun

MIS
Oct 2, 2002
US
Networker 6.0.1
Windows 2000 SP3

Hoping for some suggestions as I was looking to do the following involving my incremental backups:

Monday-Thursday, regular incremenatal backups
Friday, incremental backup encompassing the entire week. Monday-Friday.

I currently have around 10 clients belonging to let's say POOLA.

Is it as simple as going in via the NW Admin, and going bringing up my schedule aka ScheduleA, and setting the level for each Friday to a different incremental level (different from M-F) for each month. There maybe an easier/better way but I'm just looking for some suggestions/ideas. TIA.

Assume youare running full backup on a Sunday. (Full backup=level 0)

Create a custom schedule so that:

Sundays is a full
Monday-Thursday: incremental
Friday: level 1-9

This will cause Friday to backup all changes since last Sunday.

If I'm going for Sunday Full backup, daily differential, will the below work?

Full backup on a Sunday. (Full backup=level 0)
Monday - L6
Tuesday - L5
Wednesday - L4
Thursday - L3
Friday - L2
Saturday - L1

With this setup, to restore I just need 2 tape at any one time.

Yes, it will work.

Remember, incrementals backup files that has changed since the last backup.

Differentials backup up files since the previous lower level backup. In your example, Saturday's L1 would backup all changes since the previous Sunday (level=0).

So, yes you will only need backups from two different nights, however, depending on the size of the backups, you might need more than two tapes.

wallace88 and raymondseow,
thanks for the response...but I did have one followup to your suggestion...I currently only perform a full once a month and yes,it is on a Sunday but for other three weeks, I have a Default schedule set to run 'Incremental' every day. So, I guess what I'm asking is, is there anyway to run a schedule that backs up incrementally M-Thursday and then Friday's being M-Thursday thereby encompassing the entire week...without performing the full every Sunday? suggestions?

Full on first of every month, level 1 on Fridays, all other days are incrementals.

wallace88,
thanks again, but based on your suggestion, won't setting level 1 on Fridays backup since the last the lower leveled backup which would be a full (0) so, the first Friday of the month would backup from the full on the first, but then for the next Friday, wouldn't that backup two weeks back since the last full and then third Friday, three weeks worth? Just wanting to be sure.

You are correct.

You want to: "incrementally M-Thursday and then Friday's being M-Thursday". That is, you want to consolidate the Monday to Thursday's incrementals into one backup.

Unfortunately I don't think the consolidated backup level will do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back