Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Weekend working

Status
Not open for further replies.

Planner18

IS-IT--Management
Oct 27, 2014
US
I am looking for some advice on how to manage weekend working in Project 2010.

We have several projects connected to a centralise resource pool containing over 80 resources. Most of the resources are shared across the various projects. One project is late and wishes to show a few resources working over a number of weekends on a several tasks in an attempt to catch up. These resources are used on other projects as well.

My question what is the best way of doing this, bearing in mind, the resource pool is used to produce a total resource profile / forecast for the programme?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Planner18

Multiple calendars are permitted in Project. If necessary, each resource could have its own calendar. And calendars can be modified to have non-working days marked as working days. Does this help?

==================================
adaptive uber info galaxies (bigger, better, faster than agile big data clouds)

Thanks for your reply.

Not really unfortunately. I understand about individual resource calendars. My question is about the best approach in order to achieve the requirements mentioned in my original post.

There are a number of options. I could make certain weekends, in either the individual project or the resource pool, working days for the resources effected, but how does this impact the timescales of the other projects where these same resources are assigned to tasks in these other schedules and how would this effect the forecasting in the resource pool which is use to determine future resource requirements for the overall programme? Another option is to create a separate calendar and amend where necessary to make certain weekends working days and assign this calendar to the task(s) that require weekend work but, once again, how will this effect the resource forecasts within the resource pool and will this effect the timescales in any other schedule these individual resources are assigned to? I hope all this makes sense.

So, I am really looking for advice on the best approach or any other options to meet the criteria mentioned in my first post.

Thank you for your post

Regards

Planner18

There are ways to "force" a resource to work on a particular task at a certain time. Constraints (Must Finish On) as well as Fixed Duration tasks alone or together. I understand your situation. It's not an easy problem to solve within Project. Other tools might be better for this particular situation (Primavera? HP PPM? Planview? etc).

==================================
adaptive uber info galaxies (bigger, better, faster than agile big data clouds)

Answered at:

"If you only wish the resources to work on weekends for selected tasks, create a new base calendar that allows weekend work. Assign the base calendar to the task and select the option "Scheduling ignores resource calendars".

Do not change the resource's calendars or they will be scheduled to work on all tasks over the weekend.

As the task calendars only apply to tasks - it will have no impact on other tasks. You will need to monitor what happens to the overall resource allocations - but if your only option to meet deadlines is weekend work - you have all ready accepted you will have resources working more than 40 hours. You should not create overallocations on the weekend work unless you have the task calendar assigned to multiple tasks that over lap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back