Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Websites cropped on widescreen--new paradigm?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsteph

Technical User
Oct 24, 2002
US
Hi all,
This may seem like an odd question, and maybe my mind is going, but it seems like some of the top websites are forcing their content to fit 4:3 screens, just as widescreens are becoming commonplace.

I've had a widescreen for some months now, and I've very recently noticed IMDB, CNN, Newsweek, and several others are like this. Maybe the some of the other sites were always like that but I know for a fact that as recently as a week ago IMDB used to fill my screen side-to-side.

Is this something anybody else has noticed, or have I possibly switched some setting in my browser (I'm using IE 7), or maybe I've just flipped my lid?
--Jim

While widescreens are becoming more prevalent, there are still going to be a lot of non-widescreen users out there.

So, perhaps IMDB are listening to user feedback and making their site more accessible to those with lower resolutions?

P.S. I don't think it's you... I'm pretty sure IMDB took up 100% of my screen as well.

Dan

Coedit Limited - Delivering standards compliant, accessible web solutions

[tt]Dan's Page [blue]@[/blue] Code Couch
[/tt]

These sites may be using content management systems that keep the main data to a certain ratio to keep formatting consistant.

The answer is "42"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back