Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Website will load using hostname but not IP address

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 15, 2000
US
I have an IIS site being hosted on a Windows 10 21H2 box (vendor supplied) that cannot load the site using the IP address, but it loads just fine with the hostname. I'm not sure when this started to happen, but it was just reported on Friday. No updates or changes have been made. I think it's related to the SSL configuration in IIS Manager but not entirely sure. I'm researching before making any changes. This system supplies content for an on-air television broadcast. The host name resolves. DNS is working. Any ideas, thoughts, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Domenick Pellegrini

What is the error that it is throwing? That should tell you if it's SSL... and did you try (obviously replacing 1.2.3.4 with the ip address)

It's strange, because the hostname would resolve to an IP address, but it could very well be an IIS or SSL configuration issue.

Just my $.02

"What the captain doesn't realize is that we've secretly replaced his Dilithium Crystals with new Folger's Crystals."

--Greg

I'm guessing it is an SSL issue. In IIS Manager, SSL Settings, Client Certificates is set to Ignore. I haven't changed this setting, but I suspect it will fix the issue. When I try it, I'll post the results.

Domenick Pellegrini

If this query is not solved, One possibility is that the web server hosting the website is configured to respond to requests based on the hostname. The server may not recognize the request when accessing the site via the IP address, leading to a failure. Additionally, if the website relies on virtual hosting, where multiple websites share the same IP address, accessing the IP directly may not route to the intended website. This behavior is common when server configurations are optimized for virtual hosting based on hostnames rather than IP addresses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back