Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Website not found(apache) after I moved!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Technical User
Jan 25, 2002
MY
Hi, I am having a problem with apache webserver. Before I moved, my webserver is working. After, it's not working. I guess it point to my previous ip 146.7.184.81. So how am I going to configure to my new ip address? Btw, I am using Winxp. Thank you.

Check your current IP address. I don't know what it looks like in XP, but in Win98 you do a "winipcfg" command in the Run block; in Win2000 you do a "cmd" in the Run block to open a window, then run "ipconfig". This will display your current IP address. If it constantly changes with logins (dynamic), you're out of luck. If it stays constant til your ISP's server reboots, then it will work and the remaining step is to go to where your domain name is registered (register.com, for instance), and change the IP address that the domain points to. You should have a username and password already to log in and do this.

Check your current IP address. I don't know what it looks like in XP, but in Win98 you do a "winipcfg" command in the Run block; in Win2000 you do a "cmd" in the Run block to open a window, then run "ipconfig". This will display your current IP address. If it constantly changes with logins (dynamic), you're out of luck. If it stays constant til your ISP's server reboots, then it will work and the remaining step is to go to where your domain name is registered (register.com, for instance), and change the IP address that the domain points to. You should have a username and password already to log in and do this. It can take up to 24 hours to take effect.

There is way around dynamic IP address allocation with TZO. Unfortunatley you would have to get a new domain name but it works fine and it's real cheap!

RC

Hi,

Should be simple really - your IP address is either static or dynamic. You should know which it is from the package you got from your ISP.

If its static then you simply have to do a one-off change to your domain DNS records to change the mapping from the old IP address to the new. This would be thru whoever provided the domain name unless you transferred it elsewhere since.

For dynamic DNS you have to use a dns resolver that supports DDNS and 'post' your current IP whenever that changes. Another one to that mentioned by Richibald is --> . Remember, with DDNS you must inform the DDNS server via client software whenever your IP changes. See this list for some example win clients --> .

The other thing you might want to check is any 'Listen' or 'BindAddress' directives in your httpd.conf which may restrict your apache to listening on an old address. If you had that, you'll have to updated httpd.conf accordingly or remove the reference to IP addresses so that you just have 'Listen 80', 'Listen 443', etc (i.e. port numbers only).

Hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back