Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Website news updatable 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

SQLScholar

Programmer
Aug 21, 2002
GB
Hey,

A friend of mine is a member of a club website, which any member of the comittee can log into a page, and add some news to the website. This way the news gets spread very quickly and is easily controlled.

I am making a page, for a non-profit making club that i am a member of, and i wondered how possible/easy it is to implement a system like this.

What i want is an independent page where a comittee member can go to, type a username/password. Then it says what news do you have? you type it in and it then posts a message under your name.

Is there any companies (free) which run this kind of service?

Regards

Dan ----------------------------------------
There are 2 types of computer, the prototype and the obsolete!!

The easiest way would be to get a simple message board system.

All you would need is a small one, but you can get one from
I have one that I made a year ago that you could use, but I won't have access to my computer for at least a week.

Rick -----------------------------------------------------------
RISTMO Designs
Arab Church

Thanks...

I have been looking into this... and have a few probs.

1) the one you sent me isnt free :-(

2) All the free ones try and get people to register so they can post.... i just want to be able to specify a few people from the start, that can post, and alter theese when i like. No one else can post.

Any other ideas

Thanks again

----------------------------------------

I just downloaded it to use for my site a few weeks ago. I think that I had to sign up, but it took only a few minutes, and it was free. After you set it up on your server (it's exremely simple), you can configure it so that only certain members can post.

Rick

P.S. I forgot to mention that this requires PHP + MySQL. -----------------------------------------------------------
RISTMO Designs
Arab Church

Sorry i read the page wrong.

I am looking in to both of theese. I use free webhosting and have found someone to host with PHP and MYSQL.

I am new to PHP and MySQL but generally good with programming and IT in general (done Degree in Software engineering).... has anyone got any good tips?

Thanks again

General stuff on PHP or MySQL.... any prefs on where to host, is it simple, did you have any probs, can you imvisage a new user to PHP and MySQL having any particular probs!!

To tell you the truth the setup seems the most confusing... after that its seems "follow on screen instructions" for instance what is Chmod???? and why do you have to Chmod the files in the FTP program?

Thanks again

Oh yeah... i just thought of something else.

Would i just upload the files to the server, in another folder, in a similar area to my HTML?? or do i have to log onto a different server. I have looked through the details with the people i host with, and cant work it out.

is who i host with.

Thanks ----------------------------------------

Hi,

I'm only starting to learn PHP and MySQL at the moment too. I don't think you will have many problems, it is the easiest language, so I have been told. Go to php.net, download the manual, use it for reference. Check the user comments in the manual, there's some useful gems there.

I'd recommend getting a good book. There's nothing like have a good book to check. Go to the O'Reilly network and download all the free book chapters relating to PHP or MySQL ( You can even find some books there worth buying.

I pay for hosting and i'd recommend you do the same, although a free host is handy for testing.

Download lots and lots of free PHP scripts and applications! Go through the scripts and see can you figure out what is going on. Pick a simple project to work on, such as a mailing list, a blogger or a member area and try to set it up for yourself.

I'm starting simple, setting up a new site template with PHP. Then i'll do all the contact pages which are processed anyway with PHP but i'll add some dynamism to the pages. Then i'll add a member area, then maybe a messenging system between users etc etc This is how I plan to start learning PHP. It helps a lot if you have some practical application to work with.

That's about all the tips I can think of at the moment.

CHMOD is file permissions, some servers need to set file permissions in order to allow certain actions to be carried out. For example a CHMOD of 777 allows full read, write and execute access to all groups, 644 allows read/write to the file owner and read only to everyone else. 644 is default for most web docs I think.

I'll check out your host but I'd say you just load your files in whatever folder you want, with all your other HTML docs.

É ::

Thanks.... its eaxactly what i was hoping to hear.

You should send that in to that host i posted.... it was alot better put then what theres said. Nice one :)

There is a few probs with paying..... firstly, at the moment i am just playing to see if i can get it going, and if people will use it. If the test goes well it will be considered.

Secondly.... i am doing this for a club that i am on the comittee for... its non profit making, and due to us hosting a big show in 2004, money is very important at the moment.

Thanks ever so much for your help, much appreciated.

You can get hosting for about $5 per month. It's more professional than having lots of pop-up ads.

I'm also doing a site for a club that i'm a comittee member of, i host the site on my server. There are many other club in the organisation and I always avoid visiting the ones on the free servers cos of all the pop-ups, drive me nuts.

Can either of these be made not to have New Post or a Logon bit. What i dont want is just anyone registering and posting.

That way i can tell the comittee members a link for them to register, and then tell em a link for them to post.

That would be great

With Fusion News I think it's up to the administrator to add new users, and there is no link New Post. Only the person with valid uers details can make a new post.

Maybe you could email them about it?

I'm pretty sure that phpbb can be configured to not allow users to sign up. Also, the new post registration thing is only if you want support. So far, I haven't needed it.

RISTMO Designs
Arab Church

Well i tried both and decided either that the sever i was using was very odd.... or its just been a long week :)

Anywayz just incase someone else is reading this i have found a place which run what they call a weblog which seems fully customisable and doesnt have any ads. And it seems to do the trick, although there is only 1 log on, i can cope with that.

try...

Thanks again

Hi,
Doesn't too too stable IMHO. You'd be better off setting up your own. The biggest problem I found with Fusion Nems was setting the permissions, once that's done it works great. You'd be far better off having full control over your own script, rather than depending on some other free service.
Just my 2 shillings!

Like I said, the message board script I created does exactly what you want. I can send it to you, if you're interested, but it may be a week or two. (I can't wait to get on my own computer again!!!)

RISTMO Designs
Arab Church

AHA!!!

I managed to get fusion to work properly (couldnt with Phpbb). In the end i had to install it..... run a patch so i could actually post, then re-install the users file because it seemed to become corrupt and had the same 2 users about 10 times and kept throwing errors.... but i must also say that there msg board is great for sorting probs.

Well anyway its now all working.... now i have to attemp to find some (pref free) hosting... whithout banners, with PHP.... then upload it all again.

Thanks All, I am new to this forum - but on this experience, i will be back.

youu eertty saaawe fdfs #@edssd
moar mie makeurt vurder niks Groetos,
From Mussel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back