Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

website loaded into frame loses frame recognition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tee1212

Vendor
Mar 26, 2001
US
Hello--

I'm creating a website that loads other website into one of my frames ("mainContent"). Everything works well until the site eBags is loaded (under luggage and handbags category). Once this site is loaded, none of the buttons on my left navbar work. It's like the frame "mainContent" is no longer recognized. I tried framejammer and it had no effect, plus, it is opening a new browser window.

Does anybody have any ideas?

Here's the link:

(Also posted on dreamweaver forum.)

First I'd debug your code and see if the problems persists.
You have 2 errors upon loading:
Code:
Line: 9
Char: 7
Error: Expected ';'
Code: 0
URL: [URL unfurl="true"]http://www.imaginethatmarketing.net/outlet_E-MALL3/pages/home.html[/URL]
and
Code:
Line: 98
Char: 1
Error: Object expected
Code: 0
URL: [URL unfurl="true"]http://www.imaginethatmarketing.net/outlet_E-MALL3/pages/home.html[/URL]

The problem is, the link to eBags goes to ebags.com. Once this page loads in your frame, it is denied access by your main page because IE does not allow you to play with other domains. Test it yourself - load your website up and paste this code into the address bar, then click GO or hit enter, NOT refresh.
Code:
javascript:for(c=0;c<window.frames.length;c++){alert(window.frames[c].name);}
You'll see that all your frame names are there. Now click the baggage link. Try the code again. All frames are ok. Now click the eBags link and try the code yet again. Uh oh.. error. The error is "Access denied" which is because you've loaded a page with a different domain than yours. I think your JavaScript might be trying to access some information from the frame you've loaded eBags into, and thus throwing this error, because you should be able to change the location of the frame without a problem. I'll look into your code more a little later. At least you have something to think about now.

Thanks for your help, Supra! I did run that code and saw how mainContent disappeared when eBags was in the frame.

What puzzles me, is why do the other URLs work like Sports Authority and shoes.com?

Obviously for this site the companies what to have their sites loaded into this frame. Is there something that eBags can do so that my frame "mainContent" stays in tact?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Teresa

I recommend checking the JavaScript for eBags.com. Unfortunately I'm at my mom's house and IE won't let me view source, probably due to a crapload of spyware. I'll check it out tonight when I get home and I'll post back.

Found the problem:
Code:
<SCRIPT language=JavaScript>
<!--
if(navigator.appVersion.indexOf('MSIE')>=0)document.write(unescape('%3C')+'\!-'+'-')
//-->
</SCRIPT>
This script writes "<!--" to the page. I'm not sure why this is used, but it screws your frames. I removed this code and everything worked fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back