Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

website help...

Status
Not open for further replies.

pmax1972

Technical User
Nov 29, 2005
GB
Hi I need help with first site..am using fireworks to build pages then exporting 'em to dreamweaver. firstly, I need to put in links which will open word documents? don't know how to do this or where to do it...fireworks or dreamweaver? I have been trying to use hotspots and slices to make links in fireworks which I then want to use in dreamweaver to open photo files so users can 'click to view large image'. It just isn't working. i've also built a navigation bar in fireworks using slices which appears in all my pages but at the moment I'm having to make all the links each time i add a page and they all need re-doing each time i make changes to the page...i just know there must be a way of programming this bit of the 'template' so it keeps it's properties. I'm only editing in fireworks tho'.....help...;o)

this is some of it...have a feeling there's a lot I could tidy up???

Gosh, it's ALL images............................

I like the design, it's really nice, but you are going to have huge problems if you ever need to change the content, because you'll have to re-do the image, export it, redo any links etc...... alot of hassle.

Also, Load Time: images are slower to load than text, I'm on bitstream (which is around 256), and had to twiddle my thumbs and do other things while the page loaded, not a good look if you happen to have anyone on a dialup trying to view the page.

I'd personally be putting the website into CSS and getting rid of 90% of the images, then links are simple, and all your work after the initial design slice and export (export individual slices, don't use fireworks html, it's not great in my books, no room for expansion of text) should be done in Dreamweaver.

You could template the site within DW, or you could use Server side includes or scripting includes, dependant on your hosting servers capabilities.

----------------------------------------
Sometimes, when my code just won't behave, I take it outside and make it listen to britney spears music, and when it comes back it's really well behaved. I wonder if it's suffering from post traumatic stress syndrome now..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back