Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Website Cost

Status
Not open for further replies.

tmphuskers

Programmer
Feb 12, 2003
US
Quite a while back someone gave some good links to website that break down how to charge for buidling websites.
Can someone that knows list them again.
The one I recall seeing had a good breakdown that listed flash intro's, ecommerce work, number of pages, etc..

In my experience the best way to cost a job is to set your hourly charge, and then estimate the number of hours needed for each part of the work. It helps to write down each section required and break down the hours for that particular task then add them all up.
Only my opinion, others may have ways of costing that work better for them.

Nick (Webmaster)

info@npfx.com

I do not disagree with the hourly charge, but I find most customers want a one time bill then a monthly hosting fee.

It all depends on how intense the design is. If they want a flash presentation you need to make sure your contract is clear. Some clients will want changes constantly.

If they want programming elements suck as CGI forms, guestbooks, or any automation, you need to investigate this thoroughly. You can really take a hit if they want something programmed that seems easy. You need to know what you are installing before being able to quote them.

If the customer is hard to pin down then i suggest working with them in stages. Get them to agree to basic site design first and charge XXX for that. After they are happy with that you can pin down other areas and charge accordingly.

Mike Barone
FREE CGI/Perl Scripts & JavaScript Generators

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back