Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Website automation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 31, 2010
GB
Hello...

I'm hoping someone will point me in the right direction here... I want to automate a service to run every 15 minutes that will log into a website, navigate a couple of menus and then click a button before logging out. Is there a quick and easy (preferably free) non-coding solution out there?? Would also be great if the service ran online so I wouldn't have to keep my laptop on.

Many thanks in advance... Mike

If not on your laptop, where do you think the process should run? Are you trying to make a virus? because what you are asking is virus like activity.

because what you are asking is virus like activity.

More like a 'fake click bot' for scamming revenue from affiliate site click through counters, or faking 'impression counts' when trying to bump up the "worth" of "sponsored" advertising on your own site.

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
Time flies like an arrow, however, fruit flies like a banana.

Never mind this jesus character, stars had to die for me to live.

I meant the part about not running from his laptop...

Maybe, but to be 'virus like' it would have to be actively looking for other probable 'hosts' not just 'clicking' on links to mimic a browser navigating a website.

Chris.

true, but where would the process run from, if not his laptop. He asked if the process could be run from the internet...as if the internet where a physical machine running code, Since it is not, that means it would have to run from some machine, somewhere, and if he didn't own the machine, how would it be done, if not renting time on a server....Me, I would run a linux distro on a raspberry PI zero, and build a macro, but that would run from my IP, and on a machine I own.

but where would the process run from, if not his laptop.

Not being privy to what the OP really wants ... I have no idea. From the way the question is posed, I can only assume that either;

A: The OP is not particularly 'clued up' as to how HTTP actually works.

B: The OP doesn't really know what is actually wanted.

And I assume by saying 'online' the OP maybe has a UNIX/Linux VM running somewhere, that this 'script' can be run on.

Chris.

I don't see the virus-like behaviour here: web testing from the Internet is a common practice to check availability. I tried WatchMouse in the past, but I guess Pingdom or anyone like that would be the job. Not free, AFAIK.

The cheap sollution is to have a robot running on your laptop, of course, like

Cheers,
[url=http://ferdiad.blogspot.com]Dian

Website monitoring servcies, sure - but that doesn't quite sound like what the OP wants to do. We need to hear more detail from them.

strongm said:
We need to hear more detail from them.

10:1 against for that happening. :)

Chris.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back