Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

website address and active directory problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

dbromberg

Programmer
Jun 24, 2002
US
Alright, I installed a new win 2k server on our company's domain. All the computers in our company connect to 'rjp1' as their domain. Before I installed active directory, the new server was working fine on rjp1. When I did install active directory, I put the domain as 'domainname.com' where domainname is the name of our company website. The computer name happened to be rjpserv4. After active directory finished installing the server was no longer connected to rjp1, did not even have the option of connecting to rjp1 in the logon screen, and would not connect to rjp1 when I went into active directory users and computers, right clicked on the rjpalmer.com computer, and clicked connect to domain and typed in rjp1. For information- the other servers on our network are all win nt 4 servers, so the new win2k server is its own domain controller. Question- should I have typed in rjp1 as the domain instead of rjpalmer.com on active directory? Question- right now the website is rjpserv4.rjpalmer.com. How do I make it Please respond.

-dbromberg

I'm not 100% sure this will solve your problem
but you could give it a shot. Go the microst web site and get Adminpak.msi and put it (winnt\system32 folder)on the NT 4.0 servers this installs the Active dir. snap-in. There might be a little more to install the snp in, I have never used it myself, but that might point you in the right direction.

You have several questions there...

1) When you created the Active directory domain you created a new domain; but since all your other servers are NT4 to use AD that is what you had to do.

2) To get your server to show the option to login to the rjp1 domain you need to setup a trust relation between the two domains (the rjpalmer.com domain and the rjp1 domain using the AD domains and trusts on the W2k server and set it up on the NT4 domain controler for the rjp1 domain as well...

3) To allow people to access your server via www. insted of rjpserv4 you can create an alis in your DNS zone for rjpalmer.com called point it to the rjpserv4 host. Then when people type they will get the rjpserv4 site. CJ
- Jr. Rocket Man

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back