Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

webservice + dcom

Status
Not open for further replies.

abdelkaderf

Programmer
Aug 1, 2006
EG
hello,

am working on an issue were i have a dcom on one computer and i need to create a vb.net webservice on another machine that communicates with the dcom.

i know how to make a webservice but i have no idea on how to actually get it to deal with the dcom.

i haven't done this before, and
i would highly appreaciate if anyone could supply me with resources that would make it clearer or simply give me directions of where to go.

thanks in advance everyone

Webservices were designed to get around the need for dcom.. I.E. They communicate via http and soap...
DCOM is a classid based component (Active X) based type technology...

As such you don't register (at least in my limited knowledge of dcom) a webservice with dcom, I thihk you would need to build an activeX/COM component that consumes your webservice and then register it with dcom..

Just a guess. If you find a way to do this directly I would be interested...

Rob

PS if you just want to consume a webservice from a dot net component it is relativly easy. Just reference the address of the webservce from the dotnet app and use it...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back