Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Webpage URL shortcuts or keywords - HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

wavematt

Programmer
Apr 16, 2008
US
I am trying to figure out how to do this thing where the web addresses to my web pages don't go to scripts, they take a phrase after the domain name and use it as a shortcut to that page. It's sort of hard for me to explain since I really don't even know what it is that is happening. All I know is that I want to emulate it. For example:

I want to do...
www.mydomain.com/here-is-a-page instead of
www.mydomain.com/hereisapage.php

Also, this is not the same as having a script in the directory and just leaving off the script extension, this site in particular is clearly running off of a CMS (notice the bottom logo) and must be using a database to do all of this. I have seen this done on several types of websites. Here is a website that uses this method.

You'll notice that every page you click on just has a phrase or shortcut word (dashes between words) instead of a file name or script name. This makes me think that there is just ONE script in the directory and it just takes whatever phrase comes after the domain name and then loads the page from a database.

Does ANYONE have any idea how to accomplish this or JUST know what the method of doing it is even called? I can't find anything on Google because I don't even know what to search other than phrases like "website, page, shortcuts, keywords." I just can't get any results for what I'm looking for.

Generally called Rewriting. mod_rewrite is included in most apache installations. If that's what you're using, you can find several discussions in forum65.

Ahh! Thank you! You have definitely gotten me on track to getting where I want to go. Thank you again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back