Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Webmail server 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

withanh

IS-IT--Management
Dec 17, 2008
US
I am running Postfix for SMTP and Dovecot for IMAP & POP3. I'm looking for a webmail server to work with this.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Please include any pro/con comments you have as well.

Thanks!

h

I think Squirrelmail is by far the easiest to configure and it works with every browser.

I like horde more but it does not display correclty on cellphones and PDAs. Squirrelmail has a basic look but many features and plugins.

Initial cOnfiguration is hanldled by a perl script that does all tricks for you.
All you may need is a dns entry for the "webmail" host in order to have a more intuitive url such as

instead of

QatQat

--------------------------------------
If I could have sex each time I reboot my server, I would definitely prefer Windoz over Linux!

Hi QatQat,

Thanks, I have seen Squirrelmail in some of my searches online and was thinking that would probably be what I ended up doing.

Have a great weekend!

h

Just to add my 2 cents here. I have recently set up my own mail server and finally installed squirrelmail last night. COuldn't have been easier.

The only problem I ran into was that I was able to receive mail and send mail to users on my own server, but couldn't send out as I would get relay access denied. After looking through the mail logs, I noticed that it listed as attempting to connect from something along the lines of res.rr.com (the ISP). I added this to the "my networks" configuration in postfix and it solved that problem. Off hand, I am not sure if this was the correct (or safe) way to 'solve' the problem, and perhaps someone else can comment on this part.

But, I would give my recommendation to squirrelmail too!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back